Monday, August 14, 2017

Normal

When I thought I was looking to be happy, I never thought all I was looking for was normal.

When I reveled at my strength and resilience I never thought it was me devising ways to cope with challenges that not everyone needed to face.

When I learned contentment and acceptance, I never realized it was me consoling myself for not having what I needed.

When I thought it was virtuous not to envy, I didn't understand that it was me losing my capacity for ambition.

When I mastered calm and stoicism, I didn't see I also mastered detachment and resignation.

When I thought I knew how to bend in order not to break, I didn't know I was training to kowtow to fate.

When I thought I knew how to traverse the shadow, I didn't see that there wasn't always darkness , but only that I shut my eyes.

When I thought I was courageous to find my own path, I was refusing to admit that I didn't know the way.

There is value in training
And pressure indeed builds strength
But there is wisdom in the normal
And it is not weakness to rest.

Keats
14 August 2017

No comments:

Post a Comment