Thursday, January 28, 2010

Stars Die

I walked upon a jet black night
Staring upon flecks of light
Then gazed upon a scene of sadness
As a star died away in blackness
But behold two more, no three, now four
Death tonight had an open door
Five stars died and left the sky
Like five tears from your cheeks now dry
Whoever caused your pain
Is guilty of twice disdain
I’ve been told when one breaks a heart or wets an eye
Stars will die when a pretty girl cries

So weep no more, despair no further
Your falling tears commit murder
I’ll kiss them dry before they fall
To keep the stars upon their wall
To this end I save the stars,
By keeping your heart free from scars
Let me steer your heart from sadness
Keep your eyes in eternal dryness
I’ll take the charge to fill you with mirth
Learn your value my dear, know your worth
But nevermore weep, and nevermore sigh
Because stars, pretty girl, will die when you cry.

Keats
28 January 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment