Saturday, January 30, 2016

Sublime Common

To summit was quite the climb
The vantage was quite the view
A taste of omniscience
I saw far beyond
I saw past folly
My horizons far distant
All knowledge in an instant

In my tower of wizardry
All magicks were mine
Conjuration and alchemy
Prestidigitation and sorcery
Away from all things mundane
Untainted by the inane
Solitude sharpened me
Study made all things for me to see

In my cave I could divine
All secrets that would be mine
The voice of the universe with my mind conversed
Adept at prose or verse

But after clarity, there was nothing
After precision, no decision,
could be made that could show me joy
                despite the faculties I employ
The mundane, the naïve have no burdens of knowing
Knowledge offered no power for averting
                futility
Down at the valley, the lilies are near
It is outside the tower that rainbows appear
Among the serfs and rabble, magic exists raw
Among stones and gravel among mortals I saw
There is greatness in the grass, in falling petals, and shattered glass
There is beauty that defies my ken
And to futility my soul I open.

Keats
January 30, 2016

No comments:

Post a Comment